SCOTT J. BRANDENBERG
Associate Professor and Vice Chair
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California, Davis, Ph.D., 2005, Civil Engineering
University of California, Davis, M.S., 2002, Civil Engineering
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, B.S., 2000, Civil Engineering
Associate Professor: University of California, Los Angeles, 07/2011 – present (Assistant 01/2006-06/2011)
Vice Chair for Undergraduate Studies: University of California, Los Angeles, 07/2011 -06/2016
Graduate Student Researcher: University of California, Davis, Aug. 2000 – December. 2005
- Brandenberg, S.J., Mylonakis, G., and Stewart, J.P. (2015) “Kinematic framework for evaluating seismic earth pressures on retaining walls.” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0001312, 04015031.
- Afacan, K.B., Brandenberg, S.J., and Stewart, J.P. (2014). “Centrifuge Modeling Studies of Site Response in Soft Clay over Wide Strain Range.”, Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 140(2), 04013003
- Wang, R., and Brandenberg, S.J.(2013). “Beam on Nonlinear Winkler Foundation and Modified Neutral Plane Solution for Calculating Downdrag Settlement.”, Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 139(9), 1433-1442
- Coe, J., and Brandenberg, S.J. (2010). “P-wave reflection imaging of submerged soil models using ultrasound.” J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., ASCE, 136(10), 1358-1367.
- Brandenberg, S.J., Boulanger, R.W., Kutter, B.L., and Chang, D. (2005). “Behavior of pile foundations in laterally spreading ground during centrifuge tests.” J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., ASCE., Vol. 131(11), 1378-1391.
Chair – Earthquake Engineering Research Institute Student Activities Committee. 07/12 – present.
Board Member – Los Angeles Section Geo-Institute Chapter. 09/06-09/12.
Editor – ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering
Faculty Advisor – UCLA CalGeo Student Chapter
AWARDS AND HONORS
2015 Walter L. Huber Award
2013 Shamsher Prakash Research Prize
2010 Arthur Casagrande Professional Development Award
2004 UC Davis prize for excellence in geotechnical engineering
2000 California Geotechnical Engineers Association scholarship