Roberto Paolucci is associate Professor of Structural Mechanics at Politecnico di Milano, Italy. He is a ctive in different national and international research projects, mainly within topics of seismic risk reduction, elastic wave propagation modelling, dynamic soil-structure interaction. He is presently (2010) scientific coordinator of the new Italian strong-motion database, funded by the National Department of Civil Protection (web site http://itaca.mi.ingv.it). He is author or co-author of about 100 scientific papers, about 40 of which published in international journals.
2000 Shamsher Prakash Research Award, from the University of Missouri-Rolla , for young (under 40) researchers in earthquake geotechnical engineering.
2006 Outstanding paper award by the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, California, for the paper “Displacement Specta for Long Periods”, co-authored by E. Faccioli and J. Rey, published in Earthquake Spectra, 2004
1. Paolucci R. “Soil-Structure InteractionEffects on an Instrumented Building in Mexico City”, European Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 7, 33-44, 1993.
2. Paolucci R. e A. Pecker. “Seismic bearing capacity of shallow strip foundations on dry soils”. Soils and Foundations, Vol. 37, 95-105, 1997.
3. Paolucci R. “Simplified evaluation of earthquake induced permanent displacements of shallow foundations”. Journal of Earthquake Engineering , Vol. 1, 563-579, 1997.
4. Faccioli E., F. Maggio, R. Paolucci and A. Quarteroni. “2D and 3D elastic wave propagation by a pseudo-spectral domain decomposition method”, Journal of Seismology, Vol. 1, 237-251, 1997.
5. Paolucci R. “Numerical evaluation of the effect of cross-coupling of different components of ground motion in site response analyses”, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol. 89, 877-887, 1999.
6. Paolucci R. “Shear resonance frequencies of alluvial valleys by Rayleigh’s method”, Earthquake Spectra , Vol. 15, 503-521, 1999.
7. Paolucci R. “Amplification of earthquake ground motion by steep topographic irregularities”, Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics, Vol. 31, 1831-1853, 2002.
8. Paolucci R., A. Maffeis, L. Scandella, M. Stupazzini, M. Vanini. “Numerical prediction of low-frequency ground vibrations induced by high-speed trains at Ledsgaard, Sweden”, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 23, 425-433, 2003.
9. Faccioli E., R. Paolucci, J. Rey. “Displacement Spectra for Long Periods”, Earthquake Spectra, Vol. 20, 347-376, 2004.
10. Paolucci R., D. Spinelli. “Ground motion induced by train passage”, ASCE J. Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 132, 201-210, 2006.
11. Yilmaz M.T. and R. Paolucci. “Earthquake fault rupture—Shallow foundation interaction in undrained soils: A simplified analytical approach”. Earthquake Engng & Struct. Dynamics. Vol. 36, 101-118, 2007.
12. Paolucci, R. and Pitilakis, K. “Seismic risk assessment of underground structures under transient ground deformations”. In Pitilakis K (Ed.). Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering. Chap. 18, 433-459, Springer, 2007.
13. Paolucci R., M. Shirato, M.T. Yilmaz. “Seismic behaviour of shallow foundations: shaking table experiments vs. numerical modelling”, Earthquake Engng & Struct. Dynamics, Vol. 37, 577-595, 2008.
14. Paolucci R. and C. Smerzini, “Earthquake-induced transient ground strains from dense seismic networks”, Earthquake Spectra, Vol. 24, 453-470, 2008.
15. Paolucci R., A. Rovelli, E. Faccioli, C. Cauzzi, D. Finazzi, M. Vanini, C. Di Alessandro, G. Calderoni. “On the reliability of long-period response spectral ordinates from digital accelerograms”, Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics, Vol. 37, 697-710, 2008.
Figini R. and R. Paolucci. “Site effects at long periods from digital strong motion records of the Kik-net, Japan”. Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 13, 567–584, 2009.
16. Smerzini C., J. Aviles, R. Paolucci and F.J. Sanchez-Sesma . “Effect of underground cavities on surface earthquake ground motion under SH wave propagation”, Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics, Vol. 38, 1441-1460, 2009.