Jean-François Semblat is Head of the Dynamics,Waves and Vibrations Unit in the Division for Soil and Rock Mechanics at Laboratoire Central des Ponts et Chaussées (University Paris-East, France) and Associate Professor at Ecole Polytechnique (Palaiseau, France). He has published over 150 technical papers in journals and conferences. He has recently pubslished, with Dr Alain Pecker, a book on “Waves and Vibrations in Soils” (IUSS Press). He is on the editorial board of the International Journal of Geomechanics (ASCE) and European Journal of Environmental and Civil Engineering. He is member of the Scientific Committees of the French Association for Earthquake Eng. and the French Society of Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering. He is member of the board of the International Association for Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics and is member of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).
The main fields of interest of Jean-François Semblat are engineering seismology, earthquake geotechnical engineering and numerical modeling. His research topics deal with seismic site effects in alluvial deposits (e.g. basin effects, nonlinear effects) and dynamic soil-structure interaction at small and large scales. His most recent results are the following: influence of the soil layering and the layers geometry on seismic site effects, characterization of the seismic interaction between alluvial basins and large cities (so-called Site-City Interaction), fast numerical methods in dynamics (Fast Multipole BEM), nonlinear viscoelastic model (“X-NCQ”) for strong ground motion simulations, simple and efficient absorbing layer methods, amplification of mine induced vibrations, etc.
Jean-François Semblat has received several awards for his work: French Association for Earthquake Eng. , European Association of Geoscientists and Eng. , International Association for Computer Methods in Geomechanics.
His five most recent publications are:
• Semblat J.F., Pecker A. (2009). Waves and Vibrations in Soils: Earthquakes, Traffic, Shocks, Construction Works , IUSS Press, Pavia , Italy , 500 pages.
• Delépine N., Bonnet G., Lenti L., Semblat J.F. (2009). Nonlinear viscoelastic wave propagation: an extension of Nearly Constant Attenuation models, Jal of Eng. Mechanics (ASCE) , 135(9).
• Chaillat S., Bonnet M., Semblat J.F. (2009). A new fast multi-domain BEM to model seismic wave propagation and amplification in 3D geological structures, Geophysical Jal Int. , 177(2), pp.509-531.
• Driad-Lebeau L., Lokmane N., Semblat J.F., Bonnet G. (2009). Local amplification of deep mining induced vibrations Part 1: Experimental evidence for site effects in a coal basin, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Eng . , 29(1), pp.39-50.
• Semblat J.F., Kham M., Bard P.Y. (2008). Seismic Site Effects in Alluvial Basins and Influence of Site-City Interaction, Bull. of the Seismological Soc. of America , 98(6), pp.2665-2678.