George Gazetas, Ph.D.
National Technical University of Athens (NTUA),
George Gazetas is a Professor at the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), Greece. His research and professional interests include soil mechanics and dynamics, static and dynamic soil-structure interaction, design of shallow and deep foundations. He is the author or co-author of more than 160 journal papers, several other publications, and has been involved as PI in number of research projects. He has supervised 21 completed doctoral theses. Prior to coming to NUTA he served as : Assistant Professor at the Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland [1978-81], Associate Professor at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI), Troy [1981-84] and Professor of Civil Engineering at the State University of New York at Buffalo [1989-93]. His awards include the :
– Alfred Noble Prize (ASCE, ASME, AIM, IEEE): 1982
– James Croes Medal (American Society of Civil Engineers [ASCE]) : 1985
– Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize (ASCE) : 1988
– Shamsher Prakash Research Award (S. Prakash Research Foundation) : 1990
– T. K. Hsieh Award 1997 (Institution of Civil Engineers, London)
– Distinguished Lecturer Award (Japanese Society of Civil Engineers [JSCE]) : 2002
– The “Coulomb” 2009 Lecturer, French Association of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering
– T. K. Hsieh Award 2009 (Institution of Civil Engineers, London)
– The 4th “Ishihara” 2013 Lecturer, International Society of Soil Mechanics and Geotech. Engineering
– The ISET-SP, Award 2014, (Executive Committee of the Indian Society of Earthquake Technology)
– The 2015 Award for Excellence in Academic Teaching, bestowed “In memory of Vassilis Xanthopoulos and Stephanos Pneymatikos” by the Institute of Technology and Research of Greece.